Friday, April 23, 2010

Toast (토스트)

Before I moved to Seoul, the word 'toast' evoked something like this:


Now, I've added a new association:




I first heard of 'toast' from reading Mary eats, and was won over by her description in this post prior to moving here last August. Now I order it fairly regularly, although usually it's as a quick lunch, hurriedly wolfed down before heading off to teach. We also make our own version at home (like the one that M made and took a picture of, above).

I typically get my toast from the bright yellow stand on the Sogang campus. The basic version is just an omelette patty with cheese, and generally "야체 yachae (vegetables)" , which in this case refers to shredded cabbage. Other versions I've seen include ham toast, bacon toast (which can have ham and bacon together), or "special toast" which includes a chicken patty. Haven't tried the chicken one yet.

Another distinctive feature of toast is the condiments: I've had versions with mustard, ketchup, and a kind of kiwi jam. There's also a brown sauce that I haven't identified yet.

We probably eat toast in as much as out. Our home versions usually include mayo on one side of the bread and sriracha on the other, and eggs and cheese (sometimes with the addition of those Vienna sausages, ubiquitous in grocery stores here, chopped up).

Apparently, the toast chain Isaac has gone overseas; there's an Isaac toast in L.A.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails