Sunday, April 25, 2010

ZenKimchi's 100 Korean foods you gotta try (from 2008)

Since finishing up my work for my second semester of teaching here, I've had more time to poke around on the Internet. While looking up some information on Mary eats for my toast post, I happened to revisit her posting of ZenKimchi's "100 Korean foods you gotta try" (from 2008, original post by ZenKimchi, on September 16, 2008, can be found here)

I was not new to Korean food when I moved here. I've been a long time fan of kimchi since my dad introduced it to me when I was a kid. Then, while living in Seattle and D.C., I learned more about the cuisine by exploring the markets and restaurants in both places. A decent number of these are things I tried before I came to Seoul. Currently, I'm looking to expand my horizons even more. I thought posting this list now would be a good way to both get a sense of what I've tried so far, and prioritize my "to-eat" list for my time here.
Italics=foods I've tried.
1. Myeolchi Bokkeum (Stir-fried Anchovies) - my favorite version that I've tried so far was at a temple in Jirisan, with both pumpkin and sesame seeds.

2. Samgyetang (Ginseng Chicken Soup) Still haven't had this...

3. Bulgogi (Grilled Marinated Beef)

4. BulDalk (spicy chicken)

5. DalkBal (Spicy Chicken Feet)

6. Korean Fried Chicken Love it. So good with pickled radish cubes and a cold beer.

7. Dalk Galbi (Stir-fried Marinated Chicken and Veggies) - my favorite is with octopus, and gamja myun sari (sweet potato noodles as an add-in)

8. San Nakji, chopped (Semi-live Baby Octopus)

9. San Nakji, whole (Live Octopus)

10. Sundubu Jjigae (Soft Tofu Stew)

11. Juk (Rice Porridge) Have been eating this since I was a little kid (and we called it "jook") but my favorite Korean version is hobak (pumpkin).

12. Galbi (Grilled Short Ribs)

13. Galbitang (Short Rib Soup)

14. Shinseollo (Fancy Hot Pot)

15. Gobchang Gui (Grilled Beef Intestines). Had some stuffed with garlic at a second round with M and his coworkers in Wangsimni. Apparently there are lots of good gobchang restaurants around Wangsimni.

16. Seng Gan (Raw Beef Liver)

17. Galbi Jjim (Stewed Ribs)

18. Bossam (Steamed Marinated Pork with Lettuce Wraps) Tried it in Fairfax county; have yet to try it in Korea. Wasn't crazy about it.

19. Japchae (Clear Noodles Stir-fried with Pork and Vegetables)

20. Jaeyuk Bokkeum (Spicy Stir-fried Pork)

21. Kimchi Jjim (Stewed Kimchi with Tofu) - I don't have a distinct memory of trying this, even though it seems like one of those things I must have tried...

22. Ddong Jip (Chicken Gizzards)

23. Odeng/Eomuk (Street-side Fish Noodles)

24. Hoddeok (Stuffed Street-side Pastries) Mmm. Fried dough with brown sugar. Had a really tasty deep-fried version in Busan.

25. GeiJang (Raw Fermented Crabs)

26. Hongeo (Fermented Skate)

27. Gochujang Samgyeopsal (Grilled Pork Belly Smothered in Red Pepper Paste) Have also had other versions of samgyeopsal at Palseksamgyeopsal, near Sogang.

28. Lotteria’s Shrimp Burger

29. Sae-u Kang (Shrimp Flavored “Fries”)

30. Doenjang Jjigae (Fermented Bean Paste Stew) Love ordering it, and make it at home, too.

31. Cheonggukjang (Stinky Fermented Bean Paste Stew) Have had it at a Buddhist temple and at restaurants. Love the funkiness.

32. Boshintang (Dog Soup)

33. Seonji Haejangguk (Hangover Stew with Clotted Cow Blood) - Haven't ordered it myself but tried some of M's once.

34. Ddeokbokki (Chewy Rice Cakes in Spicy Sauce)

35. YukHui (Ground raw beef) - like tartare, served with radish matchsticks.

36. MiyeokGuk (Seaweed Soup) My students told me that you're not supposed to eat this before a test (for fear that your test scores will 'slip' down, or something like that).

37. Mae-eunTang (Spicy Fish Soup)

38. Nakji Bokkeum (Stir-fried Baby Octopus)

39. Ojingeo (Dried Cuttlefish)

40. Beondaeggi (Silkworm Larvae)
Once was enough.

41. Golbaenggi (Sea Snails)

42. Jangeo Gui (Grilled Eel)

43. Jaratang (Turtle Soup)

44. Bogeo (Blowfish)

45. Sae-u Sogeum Gui (Salt Grilled Shrimp) Had these in Busan at Jagalchi fish market.

46. Deodeok Root

47. BindaeDdeok (Mung Bean Pancake) Love love love these with makkeoli. I like them more than pajeon.

48. Pajeon (Green Onion Pancake) Or, often, haemul pajeon, with seafood.

49. Bibimbap (Mixed Rice and Vegetables)

50. Boribap (Mixed Barley Rice and Vegetables)

51. Marinated Garlic

52. Patbingsu (Shaved Ice and Red Bean Treat) On my list for this summer.

53. Dotorimok (Acorn Jelly) One of my favorite banchan. Just had some for dinner tonight, in a salad with greens.

54. Naengmyeon (Chilled Noodles) - the first meal I had here (though it's more of a snack, I realize now). Used to make the instant version of bibimnaengmyeon (the red spicy one) in college; my Korean roommate brought some packets over with her.

55. Makkeoli/Dongdongju (Rice Beer) Love Makkeoli.

56. Bokbunja (Raspberry Wine) You can buy this at the convenience store. I like baek seju better.

57. Soju (Rice Whiskey) Best when consumed with fatty barbeque, like samgyupsal or kalbi.

58. Andong Soju (Strong Rice Whiskey from the Andong Region) - Had this once at home, bought it at Grand Mart, not sure how good it was; tasted kind of dusty.

59. Jogae Gui (Grilled Shellfish)

60.span style="font-weight:bold;"> Haepari (Jellyfish)

61. Gyeran Jjim (Steamed Egg)

62. Corn Ice Cream

63. Dolsot Bibimbap (Mixed Rice and Vegetables in a Sizzling Stone Pot)

64. Mandu (Stuffed Dumplings) I wrote a whole post about mandu so I don't think I need to elaborate on how much I love these...

65. Ddeokguk (Chewy Rice Cake Soup)

66. Songpyeon (Stuffed Chewy Rice Cakes) Rice cakes stuffed with sugar and sesame seeds. My favorite is the pine needle one. Traditionally eaten at Chuseok ("Korean Thanksgiving")

67. Hot Bar (Fried Fish Batter Street Food)

68. Shikhye (Sweet Rice Punch) I drank this all the time when we first moved here in sticky late August.

69. Any product with Green Tea in it There is a green tea hotteok (#24) that I want to try.

70. Gujeolpan (Nine-section Dish) Had a version with thin daikon slices at a traditional Korean restaurant in Samcheongdong on New Year's Day.

71. Yogurt Soju Cocktail

72. Baechu Kimchi (Cabbage Kimchi)

73. Any Kimchi that’s over 3 years old – Not sure. Probably...

74. Baek Kimchi (White Cabbage Kimchi)

75. Shake-’em-up Dosirak
- “Dosirak” is the Korean word for a boxed lunch (“bento” in Japanese). The “shake 'em up” variety, as I have encountered them in restaurants, consist of a thin aluminum box with fitted lid, containing a portion of steamed rice topped with a fried egg. Close the lid and shake the box before eating.

76. Mul Kimchi (Water Kimchi) Very refreshing.

77. Oi Sobagi (Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi)

78. Ggakdugi (Cubed Radish Kimchi) My favorite kimchi at the moment, especially when made with lots of bright ginger.

79. Sae-u Jeot (Salted Tiny Shrimp)I'm pretty sure this is what they give you as an add-in at sundaeguk restaurants.

80. Myeongran Jeot (Salted Pollack Roe) – Haven't had it in Korea, but have had it as mentaiko, the Japanese version - Myeongran jeot preceded mentaiko, something I've wondered about that this page confirms.

81. Changran Jeot (Salted Pollack Guts)

82. Ssamjang (Mixed Soybean and Pepper Paste)

83. Kalguksu (Hand-cut Noodle Soup) Not a big fan. Too filling.

84. Ramyeon (Ramen Noodles) in a Tin Pot

85. Entire Hui Meal (Korean style Sashimi) Had in Busan. Well, I think it was an entire meal...

86. Gimbap (Seaweed Rice Rolls) Have had these for breakfast and lunch, sometimes in the same day.

87. Jokbal (Pigs Feet) I can't eat this very often (so rich) but really enjoy it. A great drinking food. Reminds me of siljee, the Chinese roast pork that I grew up with.

88. Sundae (Blood and Noodle Sausage) I like it dry with salt-and-hot pepper dip, or in sundaeguk.

89. Yeot (Traditional Korean Candy)

90. Naengi (Shepherd’s Purse)

91.Kimchi Jjigae (Kimchi Stew) One of my favorites.

92. Budae Jjigae (“Army Camp” Stew, traditionally including hot dogs and Spam)

93. Agu Jjim (Stewed Monkfish)

94. Haemultang (Seafood Soup) Not really a favorite, but I've had it a couple of times.

95.Nurungji (Hot Water Mixed with Rice Scrapings in a Stone Pot) – Ate the scrapings as a kid; we called it “ngok jook” - one of my mom's favorite treats. Never ate it as a soup though. Hoping that Mom comes to visit so I can take her to a sundubu restaurant and have her try this.

96. Sujebi (Rustic Dumpling Soup)

97. Janchi Guksu (Thin Noodles in a Seaweed Broth with Condiments)

98. BungeoBbang (Goldfish-shaped Stuffed Pastry)

99. Raw Ginseng or anything with Ginseng in it My favorite way to have ginseng right now is in makkeoli.

100. MakHui (Chilled Sashimi Soup)


Grand total? 70/100. Any recommendations on what I should try first?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails