Monday, August 6, 2007

Another take on food miles

This commentary on the New York Times: Food that Travels Well
sheds more light on the complexity of the food miles issue. The question is, where do you draw the line? When does it become obsession/elitism? As eating locally becomes more and more publicized I could see this becoming similar to the organic movement, where most people will label check, toss the item in the cart and call it good. I'm pretty sure that as I explore this (relatively) new way of thinking about what I'm eating, that I will change my opinion numerous times along the way. Meantime, it's kind of fun to have guidelines to eat by (that don't involve counting calories or carbs; this feels more like a treasure hunt, a delicious challenge!). Instead of bok choy from California, we ate red kale from Maryland tonight. And it actually tasted pretty good with soy sauce (although I'm not sure if M agreed...)

1 comment:

Lindabeekeeper said...

Congratulations on signing up for the challenge! I live in Harford County Maryland and even though this is farm country, there are still a lot of things I can't get. I've been looking for sources of flour and oatmeal with no luck so far.

I've begun to list local sources on my blog (lindabeekeeper.blogspot.com) to try to help other locavores. I may be a little too far north to help you out but if I find sources down your way, I'll pass them along.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails